Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mushroom Muck

Many consumers are concerned about the dirt that they find on their commercially purchased mushrooms. Is this safe to eat even if all of the dirt is not removed? A Cornell professor of Mycology says that all fruits and vegetables should be washed before consumed but that this dirt should not be harmful to eat. The mushrooms are typically heat treated and this kills most of the harmful organisms that would be on the vegetable. Like any produce, mushrooms can rot and these ones should not be consumed. Commercial mushrooms are much safer to consume than ones that are unidentified and gathered in the woods.  

No comments:

Post a Comment